TallyWay

"Culture: the cry of men in face of their destiny." [Camus]
My original intentions were to make this a photoblog, but fate seems otherwise determined. I live not far from an existential lifestyle and tend towards misanthropic beliefs. This is my blog.
Whether you read it or not is up to you. Whether you agree or disagree is up to you..for I do not care. Enjoy..or don't.

Discover Ubiquity

Figured as a computer-convenience/efficiency fanatic I'd be thus entitled to publicise my latest discovery. Its name is Ubiquity by Mozilla Firefox.
Don't get the wrong image here. I don't often go off on a rant to promote some application. But I found this thing pretty interesting and has great potential to become something big. I'm going to try to get used to using it for the fun of it and see where it gets me.
Evidently, it's an extension by mozilla for firefox.
Basically this little nifty thing's mission is to minimise the need for a mouse, maximise the number of commands possible from just the keyboard, and minimise the number of clicks and taps required for each desired task.
Still don't get it? Check this youtube clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knNS-5em7xU
Get it now?

So, say I want to email something to someone. All I would have to do is hit a shortcut on my keyboard, type: email to me hi, I'm saying something.
And it would then email "hi, I'm saying something" to myself. And that's not all.
The standard number of commands the application comes with is quite little, so I went here and went ahead and added dozens of more commands. Now, if I'm curious about a currency conversion I just need to type: currency 1 GBP NOK. and I'm getting 10.2210 NOK

Be it a calculator, map search, google search, dictionary search, email, FB status update. this thing does it all. the number of things it can do is virtually limitless as long as you create or find a command for it to add to your repertoire.

If you're a Firefox user and are interested in making life easier on the digital side of your life, I recommend spending a couple minutes setting Ubiquity up and have a go at it. Worst case scenario, you find it useless or too complicated and don't use it.

Labels: , , , ,

Post a Comment

You can leave your response or bookmark this post by using the links below.
Comment | Bookmark | Go to end
  • Anonymous Anonymous says:
    18/01/2009, 16:56  

    Du sklei meg så nær inn på livet
    jeg kan ikke sove deg bort med en gang.

    sounds confusing. and what are you going to do with all the extra minutes it leaves you with? something useful i hope top

  • Blogger TallyWay says:
    18/01/2009, 17:00  

    The satisfaction of minutes saved is all I need.
    With those, I can save even more minutes. top

  • Blogger TallyWay says:
    18/01/2009, 17:02  

    og du burde virkelig bruke google kontoen din til å poste.
    Eller nyter du the mystique of anonymity? Maybe that is all. You should exrpress your individuality, for anonymity is the death of personality. top

Post a Comment